Natasha Fenton lost over 5st on LighterLife and was our winter 2012 magazine cover star. Here, she reveals her secrets behind her long-term weight loss…
Since reaching your goal weight with LighterLife, what have you been doing to maintain your weight?
Mainly, I’ve maintained my weight through sensible food options. LighterLife taught me how to identify my trigger foods and bad eating habits. Once I learned what these were, I was able to plan my meals accordingly. Also, thanks to LighterLife Management, I know the importance of portion size and I only eat what I know my body needs. I really enjoy healthy foods now, and I try to cut back on carbohydrates like potatoes and bread. I am in control of what I eat and that has been the key to my long-term weight loss.
Does fitness play a part in your weight management?
My life is a lot more active since losing weight with LighterLife. I go to the gym at least three times a week. Not only does it keep me toned, but it also gives me a mood boost too! I still make time for fitness even though I’m a recent newlywed, I work – alongside running a cake business – and have two young sons.
Do you refer back to any of your LighterLife group work to help you maintain your weight?
Yes, I still plan my meals and snacks to make sure I don’t over indulge unintentionally. I was taught this in my LighterLife group and I’m sure it will stick with me for life. Once you have a plan in place you are more likely to follow it through.
Since losing weight with LighterLife, you’ve started a cupcake business. How do you find working around food all day?
My cupcake business has come on leaps and bounds. Sometimes, it is difficult to resist tasting everything I bake. However, I make sure I box and wrap the finished cakes up as soon as they are done, and leave one or two for my children to do the tasting.
I feel that I have conquered my old habits around food, which has allowed me to enjoy my cake business without putting on weight – I’m happy with myself inside and out.
Natasha’s 5 weight management tips
- Finish the LighterLife programme! Don’t stop once you’ve reached your goal weight. LighterLife Management is key to long-term weight loss.
- Keep a diary! It will help you get your feelings and emotions out and will help to make things clearer. You can then discuss any issues you have written down in your LighterLife group meeting.
- Plan your exercise and your meals. If something is written down, you’re much more likely to stick to it!
- Be mindful of your weight – but don’t obsess over the scales! I find it helps to track my weight each week on a calendar.
- Treat yourself to things that aren’t related to food. I have ‘Treat yourself Fridays’, where I make sure I do something for me! It will help you focus and it’s a great way to celebrate your hard work throughout the week.