Per serving: 255 kcal, 41g protein, 7g carbs, 7g fat 60g (2oz)
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
Green olives, pitted
Small bunch of fresh basil leaves
Juice of ½ lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
2 x 125g (4½oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Asparagus, baby carrots, new potatoes or salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
2. Put the olives, basil leaves and lemon juice in a blender or small food processor and then blend to a smooth paste. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
3. Place the chicken breasts in a non-stick ovenproof dish or one that you’ve lined with non-stick parchment or greaseproof paper. Spread the olive and basil paste thickly on top of each chicken breast.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
5. Serve the baked chicken immediately with new potatoes and some steamed or grilled vegetables or a crisp salad.
• If you don’t have a blender or food processor, you can either use a hand-held electric blender or just pound the topping ingredients together in the traditional way in a pestle and mortar, although the mixture may have a rougher texture.
• This chicken also tastes good served cold on a hot summer’s day. Leave it to cool thoroughly and then cover and refrigerate until needed. Cut the chicken into thick diagonal slices and serve with some couscous, grilled tomatoes and colourful peppers. Delicious!
• For a more tangy Mediterranean tapenade topping, use juicy black olives instead of green ones and blend or mash them with two anchovy fillets, 1 tablespoon capers, a garlic clove, a small bunch of parsley and some lemon juice.
• If you’re really in a hurry, you could just top the chicken breasts with reduced-calorie green or red pesto before baking them.