If you’re trying to cut down on meat, this is a wonderful low calorie recipe that will waken your tastebuds. Tofu is a great meat substitute and is low in calories and fat – in fact, it has zero saturated fat.
Makes 4 portions
207 kcal per serving
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 125ml (4fl oz) LighterLife Savoury Stock 300g
- (10½oz) pressed smoked tofu, cubed
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced (1 tsp minced/chopped garlic)
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2cm (1in) piece root ginger, grated
- 150g (5oz) precooked fine rice noodles
- 75g (2½oz) beansprouts
- 50g (1¾oz) dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- small bunch of coriander, chopped
- Juice one of the limes and mix with the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Top up with 50ml (3 tablespoons) cold water and whisk briefly to help dissolve the sugar, then set aside.
- Add the stock to a large wok over a moderate heat. When hot, add the tofu and stir-fry for a couple of minutes, tossing occasionally, until the tofu is browned all over.
- Add the shallots, garlic, carrot, red pepper and ginger, and continue to stir-fry for a few minutes, tossing the vegetables now and then.
- Add the noodles, beansprouts and the limejuice sauce, and mix well to ensure the noodles and veg are coated evenly in the sauce and to prevent the food from sticking to the wok.
- Slice the remaining lime into four wedges. When the noodles are piping hot, serve garnished with the dry-roasted peanuts, spring onions and coriander, with the lime wedges on the side.