This is a variation on a classic dish from the south of France, evocative of sunny Mediterranean meals. It’s vibrant colours transform your dinner to a delicious low calorie meal enticing all the family.
This chicken ratatouille is super simple to make and just the ticket to transport you to the Mediterranean with each mouthful.
- Serves: 2
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal
- 44g protein
- 15g carbs
- 4g fat
- Preparation: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 45 minutes
- 250ml (8fl oz) chicken stock or LighterLife Savoury Stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 125g (4 oz) boneless chicken breasts, skinned and cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 aubergine, cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 1 x 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Add a few spoonfuls of stock to a heavy-based frying pan and place over a low heat. When the pan is hot, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until the onion is softened and golden.
- Add the chicken strips, red pepper, courgette and aubergine and continue cooking, adding a little more stock if necessary, until they begin to brown.
- Pour in the remaining stock, and stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and basil. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Stir well and then simmer, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens and all the liquid is absorbed. Season with black pepper.
- Serve the ratatouille hot with thin French beans or steamed green vegetables and plain boiled rice.
- For the classic vegetarian version, just leave out the chicken and serve with rice as above, or use as a sauce for pasta, topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
- You could also substitute Quorn pieces for the chicken.
- You can eat the ratatouille cold, if preferred, with a crisp green or mixed salad. Let it cool thoroughly after cooking, and then transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.