‘I can’t do that’, ‘I’m not good enough’, ‘Maybe next month…’ Sound familiar? Here, we show you how to accentuate the positives and silence your inner critic.
1. Talk yourself up, not down. Instead of saying ‘I can’t go for that job promotion because I’m not qualified enough’, say to yourself ‘I’ll go for that job promotion and give it my best shot’. After all, if you don’t try, you’ll never know.
2. Set short-term goals. Instead of being defeatist and saying, ‘I wish I was a size 10, but I’ll always be a 22’, say to yourself, ‘I’m going to lose some weight and I’m going to make a start today’. Map your results as you go. You will be giving yourself confidence and positivity.
3. Look outwards. Many of us spend a lot of time internalising our problems. Start looking outwards and talk to the people around you. After all, a problem shared is a problem halved.
4. Stop punishing yourself. It’s ok to have doubts, but don’t allow your inner critic to limit your potential. If you’re mindful of your strengths and talents, the more confident you’ll become.
5. Don’t compare! By constantly measuring your success against others you can end up on a downward spiral. Instead, concentrate on your own achievements, qualities and unique features.