It’s not easy to try to maintain weight loss over Christmas. We’re surrounded by luxury ads and images of delicious food. Don’t panic – at LighterLife we’re here to help!
We’ve spoken to some of our fantastic LighterLife Counsellors who have given us some handy Christmas weight loss tips to share with you.
- Don’t over cater, only buy what you need, don’t get tempted just because it’s on offer or because the box is decorated for Christmas.
- Remind everyone close to you that you are losing weight so not to gift any food or drink.
- Don’t go to Christmas events hungry, have a food pack just before you leave.
- Plan some activities over the Christmas period that don’t involve food – eg walks, board games, ice skating, volunteer work.
- Write yourself a promise about your weight management journey and visualize how you want to feel waking up on the 1st of January.
- If you find yourself battling with a decision, think to yourself, ‘What would My Counsellor Say’, and this will help you chose the most helpful course of action.
- Do not set New Years resolutions – why restrict yourself with a ‘to do list’ on the first day of a new year? Have a resolution for everyday.
- When thinking about indulging ask yourself ‘how will having this help me to achieve my goals?
- Think about what ego state you are in when having thoughts around Christmas / New Year. Who and what messages are you telling yourself and who’s voice is it?
- Forward planning is essential to alleviate any fears and worries. Knuckle down to the detail of each challenge, write it down, play each event out in your head, look at different options for food and drink, take a balanced approach.
- Draw from your toolbox of LighterLife activities such as crooked thinking, and ABC thought log.
- Remember that Christmas isn’t about food, it’s about time with the family, enjoying time off and seeing your kids faces when Santa’s been.