Reports at the end of last year suggested that Britons are not taking the time to enjoy their lunch, with a huge 58% taking a reduced lunch break or skipping one altogether.
Neglecting meal times can contribute to weight gain, instead of enjoying a relaxing, healthy lunch you may find yourself slipping into the bad habit of consuming chocolate in front of your computer screen instead.
Here at LighterLife we have looked into some of the worst culprits available when it comes to easily available, calorific snacks – be warned, some of the calorie amounts may shock you:
- 2 Quality Street sweets from a family tin contain a huge 80 calories
- 1 slice of bruschetta boasts a whopping 220 calories
- 2 mini sausage rolls hold a gut-wrenching 96 calories
- 1 mince pie with your afternoon tea at work will equate to 188 calories
- 1 honey-roast cocktail sausage has almost 100 calories packed into it
- 1 battered king prawn in chilli dipping sauce will knock you back 57 calories.
Altogether, the above choices add up to a very unhealthy 821 calories. Instead of nibbling on these fatty treats you could substitute them with something healthier and just as tasty, such as:
- Strawberries dipped in yoghurt – why not put the strawberries in the freezer for an hour before eating them? The perfect way to cool down this summer!
- Dried fruit – a handful of dried mango or papaya will keep the sweetness pangs away
- Sugar-free jelly – contains one of your five a day!
- Sweet potato – a delicious vegetable that can act as the perfect substitute for chips. Eat steamed or microwaved.
If you’d like some more healthy food inspiration, or even if you’ve got your own healthy snack ideas to share, why not talk to other LighterLife community members on our LighterLife Facebook page or our LighterLife client forum, Talking LighterLife.
Recipes can also be found in the LighterLife magazine.