The answer to younger-looking skin doesn’t have to come in a bottle or a syringe – there are more natural ways of boosting your skin’s appearance and halting the clock. If you want glowing, fresh skin, you’ll need to…
- Artichokes: These have been linked to healthier skin, particularly improved skin luminosity.
- Alfalfa sprouts: Packed with valuable skin-clearing nutrients such as calcium, folic acid, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, silicon, sodium and zinc among others.
- Salmon: Its high omega-3 content helps hydrate skin from the inside out and reduce the inflammation that can cause skin redness
- Water, of course! Everyone knows that upping your fluid levels helps to keep your brain fully functional and therefore better able to cope with stress. It also replenishes water in the cells. Make sure you drink the recommended eight glasses of water a day, and drink more after exercise.
- Peppermint tea: known for its potent healing and calming properties, it’s also great for your skin and it relieves stress (a common acne aggravator).
- Nettles: These have an anti-inflammatory effect, helping to calm the skin and improve conditions like eczema and acne. Drink it in your tea, or in capsule or soup form.
- Wear sunscreen: the number one way to prevent skin aging is to apply sunscreen, so of course you already use a morning moisturizer with an SPF of (at least) 30. Don’t forget to reapply it, as the sun-shielding ingredients are only effective for about two hours.
- Get sweaty: Raising your heart rate once a day makes your skin glow, so doing some aerobic exercise or walking can help improve its appearance.
- Sleep well: The stress hormone cortisol ages the skin and can cause acne. Sleeping reduces cortisol levels in your body, so if you sleep well you’ll have younger and clearer skin.
For more top tips to improve your skin, as well as a raft of ideas for a healthier lifestyle in general, check out the next issue of LighterLife magazine, which comes out in August.