Heart and circulatory diseases cause more than a quarter of all deaths in the UK every year and if you’re overweight, you could be in danger. Here, we look at some key facts everyone should know.
Nearly one in six men and more than one in ten women die from coronary heart disease, so it’s really important that no matter what age or sex you are, you look after your heart health. Here’s why:
- Being overweight increased your risk of coronary heart disease. If you carry extra weight around your middle, you are at particular risk of developing heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- If you smoke, you’re more at risk of coronary heart disease. A study of British doctors found that smokers had around 60% greater chance of dying from heart disease than non-smokers.
- Around one in three adults in the UK have high blood pressure and nearly half are not receiving treatment for the condition. High blood pressure increases your risk of developing heart and circulatory disease.
- A Mediterranean diet could reduce your risk of developing problems such as type 2 diaebetes, high blood pressure and raised cholesterol, which are all risk factors for heart disease. Research has shown that people who closely follow a Mediterranean diet are more likely to live longer and less likely to become obese.
- Compared with men, women who get coronary heart disease tend to be older, experience more symptoms, require more hospitalisations and have lower ratings of general well-being. Losing even a small amount of weight can benefit your health.
If you’re ready to take the plunge and want to lose weight for good, check out our website for details of the plans that can help you lose it and keep it off.